Sunday, April 15, 2012

We ♥ Letterpress

















Or maybe it should be a question like "Why love letterpress?"  I wanted to make a poster specifically for this exhibition because it featured letterpress printing (which is my occupation) and was being shown in Cleveland (which is my "home" city).  I ended up with two posters which will begin a series that I'll call "Heavy Machinery".

I started by taking photographs of my grandfather's tractors on his farm south of Wooster, Ohio. I was interested in the machines' surfaces, moving parts, hoses, electrical lines, signs, nameplates and labels, because I wanted to make a visual relationship with the printing presses I use everyday.

I think letterpress printers usually love what they do for a combination of reasons. Part of it is the end product, but part of it is the process: the problem solving and the satisfaction of making something either with your hands or with a machine which you can see the workings of.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.
    Used Concrete Pumps in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments.
    Heavy machinery import Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent information, thank you

    ReplyDelete